Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Book Choice: The Fourth Revolution

I started my book search on Amazon and narrowed it down to three books. The first interesting book I considered was The Fourth Revolution: How the Infosphere is Reshaping Human Reality by Luciano Floridi. This book examines how our information control technologies (ICTs) are affecting our sense of self, how we relate to each other, and how we shape and interact with our world. The second book I further researched was Trillions: Thriving in the Emerging Information Ecology by Peter Lucas. This book exposes the limitations of current technology and how to met the coming challenges resulting from the next technology wave of electronic devices and sensors that will surpass a trillion in number. The last book I further looked into was How We Think: Digital Media and Contemporary Technogenesis by N. Katherine Hayles. This book examines the evolution of media studies from the traditional humanities and how the digital humanities are changing academic scholarship, research, teaching, and publication. There weren't any reviews for the Fourth Revolution and no helpful reviews for How We Think but there were many positive reviews on Amazon for Trillions. However, I decided to read The Fourth Revolution because I was reading the preface on Google Books and it seems very interesting and seems like it will be easy to follow. I read a few negative reviews about Trillions saying that it was a book advertising the company the authors belonged to. I read a few pages on Google Books as well and it seems too technical for me to follow. How We Think looked interesting as well but I decided on Trillions because of how new it is. The book was published on September 1st, so that explains the absence of reviews on every website. I look forward to being one of the few that have had the chance to discover and read this book yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment