Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Book Choice: The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood

To start off my search on Amazon I searched the term “information society”. I was not too thrilled with the search results at first but after narrowing down the results I found three book titles that sounded interesting.
            The first book I found was The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood by James Gleick. It was only $11.30 on Amazon and had an average rating of 4 stars. Out of all the books I looked up on Worldcat it was the only one with copies at a University of Wisconsin library, which was a great start. Following up on Library Thing it was the only book to have more than 10 members that had marked it and was ranked 4222nd on the website. It also had about a 4 out of 5 rating.  
            The second book I looked into was Outsourcing Murder (Miss-Information Technology) by Maddie Davidson. It also came up under the search term of “information technology” and was within the same price range and rating as the previous book, yet on Worldcat it was listed under murder fiction. On top of that the closest library with a copy was Fairfax Library over 600 miles away. On all the other websites it had no reviews.
            The last book I research was Society and the Internet: How Networks of Information and Communication are Changing Our Lives by Mark Graham. Out of all the books I looked at it had the highest ratings on Amazon, a full 5 stars, yet it was also the most expensive, about $20 more. On the other websites this book featured lower ratings or none at all. There were not many reviews for it anywhere and it was simply listed under the category of internet.

            After researching all of the books I have decided to read The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood by James Gleick. It discusses how technology has shaped human consciousness which I found quite interesting. It focuses more on how technology is changing the way that we live opposed to us developing and changing technology. I look forward to reading it.


1 comment:

  1. I came across this book as i was researching also and found it interesting. The whole idea of technology changing the way we live is very interesting to me and I am excited to read your findings.

    ReplyDelete