Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Self Stalking

To begin, I used the white pages reverse phone search with my cell phone number. The area shown on google maps was about 30 minutes away from my actual home town, but it knew my carrier was Verizon Wireless. Next I went to project New york Times census explorer to my hometown, and I was in the majority with 79% caucasian population, followed next by 13% asian population. The median household income for my tract was just over one hundred thousand dollars a year, with a 100% high school graduation status and 77% of the population in my tract has a bachelor's degree. After getting the statistics and general information on myself and my area, I turned to social networks like Facebook and twitter. I changed my name on Facebook for more privacy, but apparently even with searching my name, I am still on the top 8 list of Austin Czarneckis. I also seem to be the top hit on twitter when I search my name. Finally, I went to a generic google search. I have 3 out of the 4 top hits on google, and various photos on the image search including volleyball and volunteer work. In total, I would say I wish I was a little more private on the internet. I think that I have a  relatively unique name, so anything I do becomes pretty easy to search for on the world wide web. Using these resources, someone could get a pretty good understanding of who I am and where I come from, knowing very basic details about me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you austin, I wish my profile was more private too. You can basically find anything you want about me from awards to projects I've done in high school. I think it is very weird how people can find out where you live and what you do, not to mention pictures. There should be more of a regulation with this.

    ReplyDelete