Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Book choice

I narrowed my book choices down to Data Smart: Using Data Science to Transform Information into Insight, Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet, and The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media. Data Smart focuses on understanding raw data and how it is used to make business decisions. Tubes is a study of the infrastructure of the information technologies we use in our daily lives. The Culture of Connectivity studies the role of social media in our lives and society. I ultimately chose The Culture of Connectivity by process of elimination. I could not find any reviews of Data Smart on ProQuest or Project Muse and Tubes sounded interesting but seemed like it would focus more on the tangible "hardware" of the technology which I thought would be harder to write on. 

ProQuest:
http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.library.wisc.edu/pqrl/docview/1428954095/58120CF2937148DFPQ/1?accountid=465


1 comment:

  1. When I was deciding on the book, I also did come across this book. It seems to be a really interesting one, where it talks about how the culture of connectivity has evolved and how social media has played such an important part in our daily lives. It's amazing how social media had connected everyone form all over the place together. Also, I am definitely looking forward to see what else will social media bring to us in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete