Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Choosing a Book

The three books I considered were "The Innovators: How a Group of Inventors, Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution," by Walter Issacson, "How We Got to Now: Six Innovations that Made the Modern World," by Steven Johnson, and "Dataclysm: Who We Are (When We Think No One's Looking)," by Christian Rudder. The first book is described as a series of biographies about the people important to the digital revolution. The second book's title is pretty clear indicator about what it is about- it goes into detail about the six most important inventions/innovations throughout history. The third book, which is the one I ended up choosing is described as an investigation into human behavior and takes a look at the new phenomenon of big data. I pretty much just went through the process that was described on the class website. I looked up all three books on the numerous internet resources and "Dataclysm" just seemed like the most interesting to me, and I am looking forward to reading it. I had some trouble finding any academic reviews of the book though so I'll have to look into that more.



1 comment:

  1. I was originally thinking of doing something on big data. It's crazy how much can be interpreted from seemingly useless bits of information and how businesses and researchers can use it. I also had a hard time finding academic reviews on most of the books I was picking and the ones I found on ProQuest did not seem to have too much content. I feel like everyone is going to have a hassle with that part.

    ReplyDelete