Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Disconnected


When I first heard about this assignment, I was extremely excited to give it a try. I started it on Sunday morning to Tuesday morning. I turned off my data cellular on my Iphone and logout all my social medias that I had on my laptop. Sometimes, I found myself turning on the laptop and had the temptation logging into my social media accounts, but I am proud to say that I was able to make it through those 2 days. The assignment wasn’t too difficult for me. The reason is because I had friends over from California, Minneapolis and Milwaukee visiting us during the weekends, so that took up most of my time. I left my phone at home when I brought my friends around Madison, I felt that I was able to appreciate the time together more. I not only got to tour around Madison with them, we also got to really spend some quality time catching up and talking. I did notice that some of my friends were constantly checking their phones when we were having meals together and how it sometimes can annoy or distract others.

I usually communicate through both Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger and that made me felt disconnected from the world. Despite having to strengthen the ‘present relationships’, I felt so disconnected from connecting with the ‘absence society’.  However, I am glad to say that I was really productive on Monday when I was disconnected with the online entertainment. I have never been through a day being so productive before. I mentioned this assignment of mine to my housemates and it got them really excited. So, my housemates and I might be doing this all over again this coming weekend. We will most likely be removing the router in our apartment and unplugging the television in the apartment over the weekends. Hopefully we would be able to make it through the week.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting that you benefitted from the activity over the weekend even though you had visitors here. I thought that would have made things harder since you had people dependent on communicating with you if they got lost at all, but instead you seemed to make it a great learning experience!

    ReplyDelete