Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Disconnected

When I first heard about the assignment, I knew there was no chance I was going to be able to do it. With the weekend being Halloween and having friends come to visit my house and throwing a Halloween party, there would have been no way I would have been able to not use my phone. Being allowed to do it during the week made me actually want to try it to see how affected my life would be without using my phone or laptop. I decided I would do the experiment from11 AM on Monday until 11 AM on Wednesday. It definitely made tasks that are so easy and efficient in life today harder and time-consuming. I normally pay all my bills online so I never got checks from my bank and never needed them. Since I wasn't allowed to use the internet to pay my gas bill, I had to go to the bank and get a cashier's check, borrow an envelope from my roommate, go to the post office to buy a stamp, and mail the bill. It was also difficult when I was reading my book for the multimedia assignment and didn't have access to Google where I could look up words that I didn't know. Unfortunately, there were times where I was forced to cheat and use the internet. I had a job interview the week before and I was waiting on a response from the company on whether I got the job or not. I checked my email everyday but didn't respond to any (In case you were curious, I didn't get the job ):). I also wasn't sure about where my location was to vote and I had no about where I could go to find out this information. I was forced to use Google to look up the location. Besides, these instances and one instance where my mom called and I answered the phone by accident and another instance where I woke up and opened my twitter app by accident and closed it right away, my day was relatively normal. I wasn't able to waste a bunch of time on social networking sites, so I was forced to actually do my homework and read the book for the mulitmedia assignment. However, it was obvious that being a student in this day and age without access to the internet would be impossible. Most of my homework needed to be done online and not having access to a seemingly endless source of information from the internet puts you at a severe disadvantage. This experiment made me appreciate how more efficient and easy technology makes everyday life

No comments:

Post a Comment